Sunday 25 March 2012

Cash liquidation




























As anyone who earns a living as a photographer knows, work always comes in waves. This week that was literally the case! I had an assignment to photograph some kite boarders for an editorial piece. Luckily for me the wind was very obliging... in fact, downright over-enthusiastic! So perfect conditions for the shots, unfortunately also perfect for sand/salt blasting all my gear. About now I was wishing I had purchased a marine housing for the camera. Still, photography is all about problem solving.


I always carry several zip lock bags and elastic bands, so a bit of a McGuyver session had me ready to go in no time. Now obviously, the kite and kiteboarder are a considerable distance from each other. So the options were to shoot from a distance or get in close and go wide angle. So in I went, up to my knees and got the guys to come as close as possible. At some point I found myself rather deeper than my knees and realised I still had my wallet in my pocket! Ooops.

A good mix of shots were achieved in a relatively short space of time. I liked this shot because although it was another 'border's kite, it gave the image a nice triangle of elements, with the windsurfer coming into the frame on the right.

Next time I will have the marine housing and get in amongst it more, I have a cunning plan! Who knows, my wallet might even be dry enough to purchase one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please try and keep comments relevant and polite. Any abusive posts will be immediately removed.